In 1705, Emperor Peter I of Russia instituted a beard tax. Those who paid the tax were required to carry a 'beard token'. This was a copper or silver token inscribed with 'the tax has been taken' and 'the beard is a superfluous burden'.
You overhear people's comments about tax-related issues while you're down the street. Do you agree with them?
Comment on these statements overheard in the street.
- 'If you want an education, you should pay for it.'
- 'Why should I pay tax?'
- 'Why does the government put taxes on various things?
- 'It's best not to know too much about tax because if I don't, I can't get in trouble if I get it wrong.'
- 'Everyone should pay some tax, even low-income people, because everybody benefits.'
- 'Rich people might pay more tax, but they get much more back from the government than poorer people.'
- 'If you're a student with a part-time job you shouldn't have to pay any income tax.'
Add your opinions to this forum:
A form similar to the BAS (but without GST and some other taxes) used by businesses not registered for GST, and by individuals who are required to pay PAYG instalments or PAYG withholding, such as self-funded retirees.read more glossary terms